What started with one box of old books on a classroom floor... a student Liberia, Africa who wanted to send books to a struggling school in Liberia... and a teacher who asked, "How can I help?" ...evolved into an important humanitarian gesture.
When Darius Ricks told his teacher Veleta Jenkins, that a public library did not exist in Liberia, Africa (his native country), she vowed to help him work towards his dream of getting a library built in Liberia. A former English teacher at Dayton Job Corps, Ms. Jenkins taught American and African students. She had never taught culturally diverse students; and initially had difficulty figuring out how to include students who came from 13 African countries in her classroom. Gradually, she connected with the students from Africa. She listened to them, learned about their plight, their culture, and vulnerabilities. She realized that although many of the African students lacked English literary skills – they were focused and wanted the opportunity to receive a quality education. Shortly after Darius graduated, he reached out to Ms. Jenkins and asked her if she would still help him to try to get a library built in Liberia (the future library will be named “Library for Liberia”). She kept her word that she would help. In 2019, Ms. Jenkins and Darius founded Library for Africa (a non-profit charitable organization).
Veleta Jenkins | Darius Ricks
Click here to Watch Video
Plant A Seed Where There's A Need
Check out this great video
- Connect youth from Dayton, Ohio & Liberia, Africa through communication and education
- Education Care Packages (IPads, school supplies, bookbag) for students in Dayton & Liberia
- Donate books to schools in Liberia
- Built bookshelves for school library in Liberia
- Hosted back-to-school event for youth in Dayton & Liberia
- COVID-19: Distribute rice, hot meals, sanitizer, and facemasks to communities in Liberia
- Installed cover & pump handle on a water well in Liberia
- Promote COVID-19 vaccination
- Promote Anti-Drug Abuse Awareness
- Sponsor Soccer Tournament (bringing communities in Liberia together through sports)
- Purchased two acres of land in Liberia (where “future” public library will be built)
- MAJOR MISSION – Build first public library in Liberia, Africa
In order to continue to support our on-going initiatives, we need your support. Your donation (no matter how big or small) will help.